Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1st

Today I rest in celebration. Barbara graduated tonight from high school, so I took a second day off in a row to attend the ceremony. I spent yesterday at Camp Manitou in high spirits, for much to my surprise, program staff training had began with many friends available for company. More on that in a minute. Much has happened in the past 12 days. I've grown strong and can now walk further than I need to every day. I've taken many days off to accomplish this and rightfully so in my mind. I dream of less pain as my pack gets lighter and the miles fade behind. This could take awhile.


Western end of the trail. A milestone, nonetheless.  

View from the first steps. Viciously beautiful at Interstate State Park. St. Croix river below.

Leaving the first park. Snapping many pictures in my excitement.


Second segment. At this point the trail is easy and fun.


2 hours in. No bear.

First day. Common fording routine.


First camp. In a much different place here. It's 6pm, sun still high in the sky, and I cannot take another step. Many blisters heal as I restlessly toss through the night. A deer entered my camp, exhaling sharply as he caught my musk.

Second day, mostly on the Gandy Dancer trail as seen here. What should be easy walking is plagued by frequent neo-sporin applications. I limped for 15 miles cursing my heavy boots.


My glacial rewards after connecting routes.


Stealth camping, day 2.

Many lakes which have seen few humans and even fewer boats keep me company.  


Gear left behind after getting rained out. Full story in previous blog post. No time or energy for fishing, guitar playing, fires, anything, for now.


The house of Lori, a farmer, who took me in and allowed me to call my mom. Taken after rejuvenation and passing of the storm.


Resting on a bench.


Cross country ski resting hut.


Many signs of humans deep in the forest.


A women walking her dog, Ari. She advised me to stay at a deer farm just down the road.


After finding the parking lot I planned to camp out washed out I had to search for other options. I knocked on the door of a converted school house and was graciously allowed to camp in the yard. This is the family dog, Yoshi, who took a liking to me.


The old school house is now the residence of a couple who make pottery for a living. Beautiful. It houses all their equipment and shop.

After setting up my tent I was invited inside to meet company they had over. It just so happened their guests were quite into backpacking so we had alot to talk about. They understood what I was going through. We exchanged stories of the trail as I pulled off ticks in their dining room. I refused as much as I could but succumbed to the offer of local brats and mashed potatoes. I ate well. We had alot in common. They knew of Camp Manitou and even some of my co-workers there. I got a tour of the property and felt a connection to my hosts. They do what they want to do everyday, what they love. It was truly a pleasure to see their work. I bought a mug and shipped it to my mom. I am in their debt and so plan to stay in touch. It will be hard to top this night. In the morning I was fed again, and more than I could eat. So hard to have to refuse warm food on the trail but I could fit no more. We said goodbye and even hugged. Thank you Mary and Bryan. I have no doubt I will see you again.

One of many turtles I have seen laying eggs just off the footpath. This one quite large.


A rare fire ring along the trail. This one filled with fresh pistachio shells. No one to be found.


A sign for the local ski-hill I still go to. Being from the area I often see signs for things I've been to. It makes the connecting routes a pleasure and gives me energy to continue on.


After finding a four wheeler(not allowed on the trail) parked along the path in the Barron county forest I ran into these two fellows marking trees for a timber line harvest. Alex, on the right has hiked the Appalachian trail. He did it shortly after graduating from college as well and was lucky enough to meet his wife during the trip. He also knew what I was going through and had many questions. I always learn from the few conversations I have throughout the day. It was especially nice to see someone in the often lonely woods.

The first actual camp site of the whole trip, about 10 days in.

Many miles from the nearest road, the site had two john boats. No ores.


A train, deep in the woods.


The train was dropping off bundles of new railroad ties. Perhaps a renovation is in store.


Shortly after seeing the trail I ended up crossing a fence. Still in the woods I suddenly heard and felt the presence of many large animals all around me. Sure enough, a heard of cattle. They didn't seem to mind me and followed me on the trail as it winded through their pasture. Any company, even cows, is appreciated at this point. 


Near the end of a big day heading from Weyerhauser and trying to make it to Camp Manitou I found this note. It was amazing to see my name on a post after a day of highway walking. 


Andy, the timber marker from yesterday, and his wife are too generous. They left me this note as well as the cooler below.


In it, cold water, soda, candy bars, and beer. I could not believe my eyes. When I got the the Chippewa Moraine visitors center I tried to call them, meet up, and thank them in person. I have many questions to ask them. Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in making contact. I hope in the days to come we can meet again. My list of debts continues to grow.


2 hours later, after nice conversation with Rod who looks over the Chippewa Moraine, I arrived at Camp Manitou. I expected there to be no one around because it's very early in the camping season. As I walked down the gravel path, just a couple minutes from arriving, music to my ears. The "bell" began to ring, and far too many times, maybe 7-8 times. At summer camp, anything more than three means trouble, and my instincts where still with me. Did they think I was a stranger with my beard?


It was the dinner bell! Much to my surprise, and pleasure, there were people, friends, at camp! I was greeted with hugs all around and hot food. This was truly a blessing, the first day of program staff training. I could not believe I was in the company of old friends, many who inspire me to continue on everyday. I spent the night racing through memories and visiting all corners of camp. A camp fire capped the night and persuaded me to stay the day after. It was just too good for moral to leave in the morning.


I spent the next day wandering around pretending to be on program staff again. It's great to know camp never leaves you. I felt at home, and missed the land more than I have in many years. Much tradition was in store, including the assembly and installation of the waterfront. All I could provide was a smile.


Another blessing. A day group of around 70 elementary students. Camp came alive as games were played and camp fires had.


Canoe hobby.


Arts and Crafts.


Main lodge. History.


I was even invited on a small hike to herde lake.


Thank you. This simple hike to herde lake, a campsite where I have taken hundreds of kids camping, is perhaps what is at the root of this journey. How lucky I am to have arrived when I did, and see kids enjoying the outdoors.


A lively north field.


Scatter!


Lucky for me, I had the pleasure of starting a marshmallow roasting fire at the south fire ring. My skills were rusty, but many smores were eaten.


These guys know what they're doing, and are good at it too. We'll see you both again soon.


The great coincidences just keep coming. Steph's birthday. Celebration ensued.


A trip in the Manitou short bus, an new addition for me. Happy Birthday Steph.


Inspiration.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far. I could not be doing this without you. Thank you to Camp Manitou, and all her staff, for housing me, feeding me, entertaining me, and ultimately giving me the energy to walk day in and day out. I miss you terribly.

If you'd like to keep me company on the trail please do not hesitate to call! I end up checking my phone daily and would love to hear from you. It only takes a couple hours to be anxious to be back on the trail. Tomorrow the rest of the trip begins. In no time, it will be over. Get busy livin, or get busy diein.

2 comments:

  1. Keep the hike going and the stories coming, Paul. We can feel the renewed energy of the Manitou visit. Enjoyed this post immensely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Paul, that was great to read. I'm so glad to know your adventure is building on amazing positive encounters. I hope we'll catch up with you along the way. YOU are the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete