Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 20th


Tomorrow morning I set out for St. Croix Falls and begin my 3 month journey backpacking the Ice Age Trail. I am terrified and have no doubt falsely insured myself that I'm prepared. I didn't train enough, my pack is too heavy, I didn't bring enough food; all nightmares which will shortly become reality. I draw strength from friends, family, and the few kids who now have the opportunity to attend summer camp. I will not be denied.


Here's my gear, and far too much of it. Special thanks to all the people who donated items. Killer hiking stick from Uncle John. Backpacking guitar from Dave. I tell myself I'm trading weight for sanity with the guitar. We'll see how long it lasts before it's burned for heat and the strings are used for snares when I'm starving. Fishing pole and mosquito net from the Longbella's. 27 pounds with no food but a half gallon of water in the pouch.


Pray this lasts a week. Dried fruit, dried meat, granola, and some add water meals. Bout 7 lbs of food. Hope to catch fish as well.

Packed. 


Considering the torn ACL, I call this inspiration.

Prepare for war.

3 comments:

  1. Bon courage to the intrepid voyageur doing a good thing for a good cause.

    Please tell us again how we may donate to the scholarship fund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can donate at walkformanitou.weebly.com!!

      Delete
  2. Love you Paul!!!! Update this whenever you can, we'll be watching

    ReplyDelete